From: Robert Persson <ireneshusband@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] no trouble getting to sleep, but would rather die than wake up
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 06:37:35
I have finally got some acpi sleep states working on my desktop box (thanks
everyone!), but not all the way I would like.

The box has an asus p4p800-se motherboard and a hyperthreading p4 processor.
Hyperthreading is enabled in the kernel (which is why it was hard to find out
how to get sleep enabled in the kernel config).

'echo standby > /sys/power/state' works fine.

'echo disk > /sys/power/state' doesn't, but I'm not worried for now. swsusp2
conflicts (or used to) with reiser4 (which I use) and the original swsusp is
known to have problems.

'echo mem > /sys/power/state' is what is frustrating. It goes to sleep
alright, but I can't wake it up. The only thing that does anything is the
power button, and what that does is send the system into shutdown. If the
sleep state is initiated from a console, the screen remains black during the
brief reawakening. If the sleep state is initiated from the X server then I
get some kind of funny pattern on the screen of the kind that says that the
video card is confused.

This last one is the sleep state I most want to use, so any help getting it to
work properly would be much appreciated.

many thanks
Robert
--
Robert Persson

Conspiracy Bears:
Once upon a time there were lots of conspiracy bears...