From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and NetworkManager
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 18:28:59
1 On 15/07/2013 18:44, András Csányi wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I would like to get some help regarding networkmanager and KDE.
5 >
6 > I have installed the networkmanager package on my machine and I also
7 > have networkmanagement kde application installed. My problem is that
8 > as a user I'm not able to abb network connection using network manager
9 > in kde. There is no way to run this application as root and I'm not
10 > able to login as root into KDE.
11 >
12 > At the moment I don't have any network connection on that machine. If
13 > I want it then I have to remove networkmanager package and let the
14 > rc-process to handle the networks.
15 >
16 > Is there a place where that is described how possible to solve this
17 > issue? Is there a tutorial about networkmanager where the
18 > configuration is described or something like this? What right is
19 > needed or something? I have googled a few hours but I haven't found
20 > anything.
21 >
22 > I appreciate your help!
25 unmerge nm and everything associated with it.
26 Comment out all lines in /etc/conf.d/net
27
28 emerge wicd with the USE flags of your choice.
29
30 All your problems will instantly go away, stay away, and wicd will do
31 the right thing always for networking. I promise.
32
33 networkmanager is a horribly broken piece of shit that per user reports
34 never seems to actually work for people. You should not use software
35 like that.
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com