From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Routine update wants to install 41 new packages
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:11:36
1 One of the nagging annoyances with Gentoo is the constant, steady
2 increase in the number of packages installed (even though I'm not
3 changing anything or adding anything new). It's usually just 1 or 2
4 new packages every now and then, which is tolerable.
5
6 Then there are routine updates like this morning's which wanted to
7 install 41 new packages (all java libraries). And it had only been a
8 couple days since the previous update.
9
10 I think the offender was dev-java/avalon-framework suddenly deciding
11 it needed a shit-ton of new libraries for some reason. The only thing
12 that used avalon-framework was dev-java/fop, and I don't actually use
13 FOP anymore. So I removed fop, did a depclean (which removed a few
14 dozen other java packages), and the subsequent update no longer
15 required any new packages. FOP has always seemed a bit bloated, but
16 this was a bit beyond the pale.
17
18 So I escaped this time. Next time I probably won't be so lucky.
21 Grant