From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Creating binary packages before updating them
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 12:07:56
1 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 29/07/13 14:35, Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 14:18:03 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Normally, when I'm about to update an important package, I back it up
6 >>> first using quickpkg. I'm often in a situation though where many
7 >>> important packages are being updated in a world update. Normally, I
8 >>> have to manually quickpkg every one of them.
9 >>>
10 >>> Is there a way to tell emerge to do this on its own? That is, create
11 >>> binary packages of every package that it is replacing?
12 >>
13 >> You could parse the emerge output to build a list of packages and pass
14 >> that to quickpkg. You could even do his as a script
15 >> in /etc/portage/postsync.d to have it done automatically, but the
16 >> simplest long term solution is to add buildpkg to FEATURES, then you
17 >> don't have to try to anticipate which packages you need to backup.
18 >>
19 >> You can process all existing packages with
20 >>
21 >> quickpkg \*/\*
22 >>
23 >> I suspect you could also do this be defining a custom src_setup function
24 >> in /etc/portage/bashrc - FEATURES="buildpkg" is a lot less hassle unless
25 >> you are really tight on disk space.
26 >
27 > Too big a hammer. I suppose the answer is just "no." I was hoping
28 > for some obscure emerge option that I wasn't seeing (happened before),
29 > like "--buildpkg-replaced" or something. I'll keep using quickpkg
30 > then. I only need this very rarely.
36 If you set buildpkg in make.conf, you should already have a binary
37 stored. Example. You do a install with buildpkg in make.conf. From
38 that point on, when you do a update or new package install it stores a
39 binary package for everything. Then later on if you do a update and it
40 goes goofy, you can just use the -K option and it will restore the
41 binary it stored without compiling the package again.
42
43 I have that set here and it should do what you want in the long run. It
44 just does it differently.
45
46 Dale
47
51 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!