From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ZFS
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2013 09:43:00
1 >> It looks like there are comprehensive ZFS Gentoo docs
2 >> (http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/ZFS) but can anyone tell me from the real
3 >> world about how much extra difficulty/complexity is added to
4 >> installation and ongoing administration when choosing ZFS over ext4?
5 >
6 > Very very minimal. So minimal, in fact, that if you don't plan to use
7 > ZFS as a root filesystem, it's laughably simple. You don't even have
8 > to edit /etc/fstab
9
10 I do plan to use it as the root filesystem but it sounds like I
11 shouldn't worry about extra headaches.
12
13 >> Performance doesn't seem to be one of ZFS's strong points. Is it
14 >> considered suitable for a high-performance server?
15 >>
16 >> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTM1NTA
17 >
18 > Go directly to this post:
19 > http://phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?79922-Benchmarks-Of-The-New-ZFS-On-Linux-EXT4-Wins&p=326838#post326838
20 >
21 > Notice how ZFS won against ext4 in 8 scenarios out of 9. (The only
22 > scenario where ZFS lost is in the single-client RAID-1 scenario)
23
24 Very encouraging. I'll let that assuage my performance concerns.
25
26 >> Besides performance, are there any drawbacks to ZFS compared to ext4?
27 >
28 > 1. You need a huge amount of RAM to let ZFS do its magic. But RAM is
29 > cheap nowadays. Data... possibly priceless.
30
31 Is this a requirement for deduplication, or for ZFS in general?
32
33 How can you determine how much RAM you'll need?
34
35 > 2. Be careful when using ZFS on a server on which processes rapidly
36 > spawn and terminate. ZFS doesn't like memory fragmentation.
37
38 I don't think I have that sort of scenario on my server. Is there a
39 way to check for memory fragmentation to be sure?
40
41 > For point #2, I can give you a real-life example:
42 >
43 > My mail server, for some reasons, choke if too many TLS errors happen.
44 > So, I placed "Perdition" in to capture all POP3 connections and
45 > 'un-TLS' them. Perdition spawns a new process for *every* connection.
46 > My mail server has 2000 users, I regularly see more than 100 Perdition
47 > child processes. Many very ephemeral (i.e., existing for less than 5
48 > seconds). The RAM is undoubtedly *extremely* fragmented. ZFS cries
49 > murder when it cannot allocate a contiguous SLAB of memory to increase
50 > its ARC Cache.
51
52 Did you have to switch to a different filesystem on that server?
53
54 - Grant