From: Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can one tell me: gentoo vs opensuse
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2011 04:41:28
1 On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 09:09:38PM -0500, Michael Mol wrote:
2 > On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 7:53 PM, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3 > > Another plus point is the almost complete devel tools provided out of the
4 > > box: the gcc suite. Now if I happen across an open source project that
5 > > hasn't made it yet to the portage tree, I can just download and compile it
6 > > myself.
7 >
8 > This. Very much this. My dive into Gentoo came as I was fed up with
9 > Debian and Ubuntu having buggy and/or outdated versions of multimedia
10 > encoding packages while trying to configure a box specced for live
11 > transcoding of h.264 to something my PS3 would like.
12
13 Though Gentoo was my first distro to begin with, the devel stuff in
14 Debian/Ubuntu is also a big nuisance for me, because you have to “spam” the
15 equivalent of your world file with numerous dev packages or libs if you want to
16 install some application from source (like I once tried with Amarok in Debian
17 Squeeze).
18 On the other hand one could of course argue that Gentoo is wasting a lot of
19 space because it is always installing all dev files, like /usr/include,
20 /lib/**/*.a and stuff. But that’s something else. :)
21 --
22 Gruß | Greetings | Qapla'
23 I forbid any use of my email addresses with Facebook services.
24
25 Bosses are like timpani: the more hollow they are, the louder they sound.