From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Coming up with a password that is very strong.
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 18:13:36
1 On 2/5/2019, 6:50:29 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2/4/2019, 8:10:57 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 > I'm on the newer version of Firefox so it doesn't show up in my search
6 > since it isn't compatible.
7
8 Correct - maybe you missed my comment that I'm having to keep an old
9 Portable version of 56 in order to continue being able to use it.
10
11 I have a copy I downloaded long ago from AMO, see attached. But it won't
12 install in newer versions. I'm using a Portable version of 56.
13
14 > I did find a Pro version which is likely the same thing but for the
15 > newer versions of Firefox.
16 > Did you see it?  It is here:
17 >
18 > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/firefox-passwordmaker-pro/?src=search
19
20 I'm aware of it, but no, it isn't even close to the same thing. It
21 simply was created to be able to ready Passwordmaker's data file (RDF file).
22
23 > I picked LastPass since it did what I need and then some plus is
24 > free.
25
26 Yes, but one of my main criteria was it has to be open source. LastPass
27 isn't open source.
28
29 >>> I'm not sure I understand what you mean password modification protocol.
30 >>> It sounds like you change your master password each time you use it.
31
32 >> No, I'm talking about the saved (or in Passwordmakers case, generated)
33 >> password, not the Master Password.
34 >>
35 >> Doing this with the Master Password wouldn't make any sense.
36
37 > If I understand you correctly, I think I have seen a site that allows
38 > that sort of thing.  I think.
39
40 ?? It doesn't have anything to do with a site. This works anywhere.
41
42 You simply let your Password Manager fill in the fields, then click
43 inside the password field and make your modifications before pressing Enter.
44
45 > My biggest responsibility is having a good master password.
46
47 Mine is good, but that is another benefit of my method - it doesn't have
48 to be super duper strong, because even if someone gets ahold of your
49 Password Manager and breaks into it and can see all of your passwords,
50 it won't do them any good, because they don't have the contents of your
51 brain to know what modifications to do to the password.

passwordmaker-1.7.8.xpi application/x-xpinstall