From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive AHCI versus RAID setting in BIOS?
Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2021 07:26:23
1 On Saturday, 5 June 2021 03:10:10 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Sat, Jun 05, 2021 at 12:04:19AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >
4 > > On Fri, 4 Jun 2021 18:04:51 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > > Since wiping Windows voids the warranty, I'll run the new machine for
6 > > >
7 > > > several days under Windows, just in case there are any early problems.
8 > > > After that, it goes Gentoo.
9 > >
10 > > I always boot system rescue and dd the entries drive to somewhere safe.
11 > > That way I restore the original setup in the case of a warranty claim -
12 > > unless the failure is that bad that I can't boot or access the disk.
13 >
14 > a) The drive is one terabyte in size.
15 >
16 > b) Yes, Mr. Dell Support, I bought the machine 6 months ago and I've
17 > been websurfing, Youtubing, etc ever since. And Windows Home has not
18 > forced an update all that time.
19
20 The drive may be 1TB, but the data on it must be significantly less.
21 Clonezilla can copy and compress the data into a backup image for later
22 restoration, should a claim against warranty arise.
23
24 Whether a MSWindows Update took place or not, or indeed whether the OS was
25 even initialised or not (first run), is pretty much immaterial, as long as the
26 failure is related to hardware and data can be provided to this effect. I've
27 returned a PC because smartmontools showed an imminent disk failure and
28 another because it failed an overnight run of memtest86+.