From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /boot without space.
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 22:09:16
1 On Thursday 21 June 2007 16:11:42 Ricardo Bevilacqua wrote:
2 > I was installing a boot splash when i got this message
3 >
4 > //////////////////////
5 > o Creating initramfs image..
6 > mv: writing «/boot/fbsplash-livecd-2007.0-1024x768»: There is no space
7 > left on the device.
8 > //////////////////////
9 >
10 > I was surprised so I checked the /boot partition
11
12 Try using:
13 du -xa /boot | sort -rn
14 as root to locate the space hogs, which may be hidden files. (du does "lie"
15 sometimes though, because the assumptions it makes about file size aren't
16 always true.)
17
18 You might also fire up filelight and/or the file size view of konqueror
19 (either would also need to be as root) if you prefer a graphical view. (They
20 will suffer from the same limitations as du, but their assumptions my be
21 different.)
22
23 Oh, I'm not sure while filesystem you are using, but reiserfs reserves some
24 space for the block usage bitmap and misc. metadata, and that takes up a
25 number of MB.
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
29 bss03@××××××××××.net ((_/)o o(\_))
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
31 http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/