From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: scrapping hal
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 08:26:00
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 05:22 on Thursday 28 October 2010, Harry
2 Putnam did opine thusly:
3
4 > Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> writes:
5 > > 101027 Harry Putnam wrote:
6 > >> I wondered if there is some kind of guide to scrap hal.
7 > >
8 > > From my notes, having done it on 2 desktops machines + 1 netbook :
9 > Nice .. many thanks but one question....
10 >
11 > > To remove Hal : drop '-hal' flag, add 'udev' flag ;
12 >
13 > So no kind of hal flag in make.conf, or is `-hal' a typo that
14 > should be `drop 'hal' flag?
17 I wouldn't advise putting -hal in make.conf - that's globally and too many
18 other things on the desktop still need it. Either
19
20 a) disable it in /etc/make.conf and enable it in packages.use for stuff that
21 needs it
22 b) enable it in make.conf and disable it in packages.use for xorg-server
23
24 I prefer b) as it's too easy to miss things using a).
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com