From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading from FX-5200 to a GeForce 6200 512MB
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 17:08:14
1 On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 11:12 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I'm wondering if the card may be getting hot and slowing down because of
3 > that?  i replaced the heat sink a good while back and I got more than enough
4 > cooling on the case.  The heat sink has a fan and maybe it is not turning or
5 > something.  I did blow out the dust a while back and I do have filters over
6 > the intakes to help some.
7
8 Some Nvidia cards can go into a slow-motion mode when they overheat, I
9 had that happen on mine (it was a 6000 or 7000 series, I think) when
10 the fan died and I didn't realize it. The slowdown was dramatic in
11 those cases. It would usually happen if I was playing a game or a
12 video, suddenly it would go 2 frames per second. I'd stop the
13 game/video, and even things like opening a window were slow. After a
14 minute or two, everything would be back to normal speed. Eventually I
15 learned that the card was protecting itself by switching to an
16 ultra-slow mode to try to fight the overheating.
17
18 nvidia-settings may be able to show you the temperature and speeds on
19 your card. You might need to add:
20
21 Option "coolbits" "1"
22
23 to the device section in your xorg.conf to get it to show you some of
24 those options if they aren't initially visible.