From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] netcat - which?
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 12:55:36
1 On 7 March 2012 11:39, Benny Gächter <benny.gaechter@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Am Wed, 7 Mar 2012 14:03:45 +0700
3 > schrieb Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>:
4 >
5 >> eix netcat returned net-analyzer/gnu-netcat and net-analyzer/netcat
6 >>
7 >> What's the difference? Which one should I emerge?
8 >>
9 >> Rgds,
10 >
11 > net-analyzer/netcat is http://nc110.sourceforge.net/
12 > and net-analyzer/gnu-netcat is http://netcat.sourceforge.net/
13 >
14 > Afaik...
17 The original netcat (net-analyzer/netcat) started suffering from bit
18 rot and Vapier launched the community edition
19 (http://nc110.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/nc110/) in an effort to clean
20 the code so that it compiles with modern code and machines. However
21 that was 5 years ago. I don't know if progress has been slow, or no
22 devs showed up.
23
24 Then gnu-netcat kicked in to do the same thing not much later and also
25 cater for other platforms.
26
27 Finally, netcat6 http://netcat6.sourceforge.net/ showed up with
28 improvements claiming better ipv6 support and re-write of the netcat
29 code dropping some features and adding others.
30
31 For my rather basic needs and perhaps due to adoption inertia I am
32 still using the original netcat package, so can't advise about the
33 others.
34 --
35 Regards,
36 Mick