From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Confusion about slot conflict
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 14:35:29
1 On Wednesday 08 Jan 2014 12:31:52 I wrote:
2 > I'm having a similar problem on my local LAN server, an Atom box. I sync
3 > daily, and I've just synced again to make sure (31000 files, yet again,
4 > nearly all in metadata).
5 >
6 > The Atom's packages directory is NFS-mounted in a 32-bit chroot on my
7 > workstation, which does all the compiling work and then the Atom installs
8 > from packages.
9 >
10 > For several days I've been finding that the Atom box throws up the libpng
11 > error whereas the chroot doesn't want to upgrade anything. I've checked
12 > that /etc/portage/* is identical except for make.conf, which has to differ
13 > in proxy names, rsync hosts and a couple of other details. There's no
14 > ACCEPT_KEYWORDS entry in either make.conf.
15 >
16 > The packages that portage complains of are all at the same versions on the
17 > two boxes.
18 >
19 > I can't see a way out of this, other than forcing a libpng update on the
20 > atom. Any further thoughts anyone? I'm almost sure I'm overlooking
21 > something but in my present befuddled state I can't see what.
22
23 Having tried many times to emerge -uaDvNK world on the Atom box and then
24 separately emerging all the packages complained about, I finally got portage to
25 come up with a set of packages to update - 637 of the total 645!
26
27 While it's doing that (may be gone some time) I find that the /etc/portage
28 directory on the Atom box had permissions root:root 0700. How that happened
29 I've not the foggiest idea, but portage will have been unable to read any of
30 the files in there.
31
32 So, a word to the wise: beware rogues setting bad permissions.
35 Regards
36 Peter