From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] any one using ubuntu phones?
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 04:28:37
1 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 05:33:08PM +0430, behrouz khosravi wrote
3 >
4 >> I love to get ride of android altogether!
5 >> I would love to see a platform open enough that I am able to install my
6 >> bootloader on it easily and boot what I prefer using a usb flash memory.
7 >> This is what I consider as the linux or more appropriately free software
8 >> ecosystem.
9 >> It is obvious that we are far from this but I think that we deserve it
10 >> anyways.
11 >> I dont know whay we are not there yet, touch screen is just another input
12 >> device, baseband modulator and demodulators are just another device
13 >> attached to the CPU.
14 > Linux is a desktop OS. I hope it remains that way. My main worry is
15 > that some devs are pulling a Microsoft and bastardizing the desktop UI
16 > to make it "touch compatable". Firefox has changed to the
17 > Atrocious^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Austraulis GUI. In plain English, it sucks.
18 > I've switched to Seamonkey to keep the old interface.
19 >
20 > If you want a smartphone/tablet without Android, I recommend rooting
21 > the device, and having CyanogenMod installed. It's Android without the
22 > Google-garbage. A selection of FOSS apps is available at
23 > https://f-droid.org/ Because CyanogenMod is based on Android, it can
24 > run native Android apps from Google Play.
28 What version of Firefox are you using? I've seen some changes made to
29 Firefox but nothing that drastic. I'm just curious if maybe I'm still
30 running a older not affected version.
31
32 My reason for asking. I'm volunteer on staff at a social site. I have
33 several accounts there. Firefox, especially giving the addons it has,
34 is the best option for me to use to have multiple profiles open at one
35 time. Plus, I don't need the email feature for that either. If
36 something ugly and nasty is coming, I need to start figuring out what I
37 can do to work around this or something else to use.
38
39 Dale
40