From: Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] gentoo install speechless
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2020 17:08:58
1 I got gentoo to boot and espeak although in the default run level with
2 speakup-soft=soft enabled in the kernel espeak is silent. I know the
3 system booted since I uncommented the TUNE line in grub and also added in
4 pcspkr into the kernel so was able to do a root login and then hit
5 backspace and the pc speaker beeps. I did not yet emerge alsa-utils if
6 such a package exists in gentoo yet. I'll have to use the install disk
7 again and get to chroot /mnt/gentoo environment again and try to emerge
8 alsa-utils to run speaker-test. I did hear speakers click twice during
9 the boot process so those probably work.
10 For me it takes about 2 days to do this kind of linux install with gentoo
11 and even with fedora moonshine that took less time to install and have
12 come up talking.
13 I did not go the systemd route, systemd looked lots more complex and I'm
14 having plenty of trouble with openrc as things stand.
15 More later as I find it out. Probably good an accessibility podcast for
16 gentoo is never done, I think such a podcast would deter any potential
17 accessibility users from ever attempting an install of gentoo.