From: Jeff Rollin <jeff.rollin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Eez a byootiful dai todai
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:16:28
1 In the last episode, Jeff Rollin wrote:
2
3 JR> Indeed - and that's even assuming you buy from a shop (that you walk
4 into).
5 JR> Here in the UK, companies that sell preloaded Linux are as rare as hen's
6 JR> teeth, and though I can cope with written German, there are linguistic
7 issues
8 JR> which would be involved if I bought a laptop from Germany and experienced
9 JR> problems - aside from the legal issues which would worry me buying either
10 JR> from there or the States. (What happens if it gets damaged in transit?
11 Would
12 JR> they be liable for not living up to the guarantee? Is there a warranty
13 that
14 JR> covers international customers? If I have to take legal action, where
15 would I
16 JR> file a suit? etc.) Whatever happens, there's very little chance my next
17 JR> laptop purchase won't be made on line, so no liveCD testing possible.
18 JR>
19
20 And then there's cases like the one below to consider, where a vendor
21 certifies a computer as being compatible with Linux, but installing Linux
22 voids the guarantee:
23
24 http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/23/1430204&tid=3&tid=7
25
26 Jeff
27 --
28 For a successful technology, reality must take precedence
29 over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled.
30
31 Richard Phillips Feynman, American physicist, 11/5/18-15/2/88
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list