From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] InitRAMFS - boot expert sought
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 23:06:10
1 On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:43:38 -0500, Dale wrote:
2
3 > That's why I want something that I can install fast. Gentoo certainly
4 > isn't the right choice for that. If Kubuntu fails, I can just reinstall
5 > and not format /home.
6
7 That's why ${DEITY} gave us backups: no need to reinstall just roll back
8 to the last working version. Even if your backup is a couple of weeks
9 old, it with be more up to date than any distro CD.
10
11 > Right now, if Gentoo fails to boot because of the init thingy, I have no
12 > idea how to fix it. None at all. I know the basics of what it does but
13 > no idea how to fix it when it breaks. That's where I am now with regard
14 > to my other post. I can't su to root when using the init thingy but can
15 > when I don't use the init thingy. I have no clue where to even start to
16 > fix it.
17
18 Why not post the details of it? All an initramfs is is an init script and
19 a few binaries. Extract the init script, the initramfs file is a plain
20 cpio archive, and post it here.
21
22 > Me clueless since this is something I tried to avoid in the past and not
23 > sure why it is needed now either.
24
25 Because upstream decided to work this way to avoid the problems caused by
26 the anachronistic separation of / and /usr. This is not so much a
27 decision by the udev devs as an acceptance that the current filesystem
28 organisation was becoming ever more unworkable in the general case.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 "Self-explanatory": technospeak for "Incomprehensible & undocumented"