From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] making bootable USB
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 21:56:31
1 On Tue, Sep 02, 2014 at 10:50:02AM -0600, Joseph wrote
2 >
3 > I have tried it on two boxes, they are both small units without CD
4 > 1.) First is an older box that can not boot from Gentoo ISO USB
5 > generated with "dd"
6 > BIOS setting are:
7 > USB-ZIP
8 *********
9 *********
10 *********
11
12 > USB-FDD
13 *********
14 *********
15 *********
16
17 > Hard Disk
18 >
19 > 2.) The second box is an ATOM-330 and the same USB boots OK.
20 >
21 > So the issue might be with the Bios on the first box.
22
23 A USB stick is ***NOT*** a zip-drive or a floppy drive. That could be
24 your problem right there. Do you have any other USB options in your
25 BIOS boot menu? Is there anything like "usb key" or "usb thumbdrive"?
26 They would make more sense.
27
28 BTW, I have a machine with weird behaviour. If I...
29 * insert the USB stick
30 * boot to BIOS setup
31 * select the boot-order menu
32
33 Then the USB key shows up as an option in the boot-order menu...
34 complete with manufacturer name and model of the USB key.
37 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
38 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications