From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new linux router
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 21:24:30
1 Bruce Schultz <brulzki <at> gmail.com> writes:
5 > On 5 March 2015 1:10:40 AM AEST, James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
6
7 >> I'd like to be able to download some open source linux to the router
8 >> hardware if updates and pathces are not maintained by the vendor?
9 >> That way I do not purchase something that is to be abandoned in
10 >> a few years by the vendor.
11
12 > Maybe this would meet your needs?
13 > https://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/
14 >
15 > There's also this link if you want to run gentoo, although you lose
16 > the networking performance of the original firmware
17 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/MIPS/ERLite-3
20 Now this is exactly what I'm looking for; a vendor light weight router
21 and I can put linux on (preferable gentoo) in case the vendor does
22 not offer updated images or stay up with patches and such.
23
24 Very, Very cool! Do you own one? Have you or another tried it?
25 Have you put gentoo on it?
26
27 Do you know which dev rooted this hardware and/or wrote the
28 howto web page you reference above?
31 James