From: Gabriel Rossetti <rossettigab@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] can't ssh w/out password as root into my gentoo box any more - SOLVED
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:13:27
1 Duane Griffin wrote:
2 > On 26/02/07, Gabriel Rossetti <rossettigab@×××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> Hello,
4 >>
5 >> I had setup password-less ssh login for a backup process from another
6 >> machine (FreeBSD) and all was working well, but for some reason it no
7 >> longer works anymore, I tried to redo everything, but still no luck. I
8 >> also tried as a regular user and it works fine. I tried to add :
9 >>
10 >> PermitRootLogin without-password
11 >> PubkeyAuthentication yes
12 >>
13 >> (the second seems useless since it works for non-root users)
14 >> but still no luck, any ideas anyone?
15 >
16 > Check the logs on the server. Run ssh with -vvv to see what it is
17 > trying. Check permissions on ~/.ssh and its contents. If all that
18 > fails try running sshd in debug mode to get more diagnostics out.
19 >
20 > Cheers,
21 > Duane.
22 >
23 Thanks Duane, it was an ownership problem.... using -vvv didn't show
24 anything usefull (I had tried it before posting)
25 but the server logs helped a lot, beats me why I didn't think of that...
26 Anyways, works great now, thanks again, my backups are once again working!
27
28 Cheers,
29 Gabriel
30 --