From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange TCP timeout errors
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 14:16:16
1 > It's as I thought - your data is accurate but rrd has been given a
2 > completely wrong method to derive the graphs.
3 >
4 > Munin graphs for section "Network" do not have to be in a file called
5 > "network" - it's just a category and the plugin defines what web-page
6 > section it must be in. In your case, the relevant plugin is
7 > netstat_multi which doesn't often get installed. It's data source is
8 > "netstat -s" so grep that output for "timeout" to see it.
9 >
10 > Timeouts are cumulative counters, they do not get less till they wrap
11 > around. So to scale them, the plugin gets the rrd file to subtract
12 > previous reading from current reading and divide by the time interval to
13 > get the timeouts/sec. This is all done inside rrd when the data files
14 > are updated (it's quite a lot of magic)
15 >
16 > That plugin sets the graph type to DERIVE
17 > (/etc/munin/plugins/netstat_multi around line 190. I feel it should be
18 > GAUGE or COUNTER.
19 >
20 > The proper reference on rrd is
21 > http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdcreate.en.html
22 > and the munin docs are
23 > https://munin.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
24 >
25 > You must edit the plugin file and IIRC recreate the rrd, you will lose
26 > all past info (can't be helped).
29 > [snip ls output]
32 >> P.S. Any other good plugins you'd recommend?
33 >
34 > http://gallery.munin-monitoring.org/
35 >
36 > Monitoring is highly site-specific so recommendations aren't usually
37 > worth much, but that gallery has LOTS of contributed plugins
40 Many thanks Alan!
41
42 - Grant