From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Expect a ~15% average slowdown if you use an Intel processor
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 03:25:12
1 On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 2:15 PM, P Levine <plevine457@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here before but there apparently is a
4 > bug affecting all Intel CPUs manufactured in the last 10 years or so, in
5 > which protected kernel memory is leaked to userspace. It can't be patched
6 > in microcode and will lead to some serious overhead to patch in the OS.
7 > See, Huge Intel CPU Bug Allegedly Causes Kernel Memory Vulnerability With
8 > Up To 30% Performance Hit In Windows And Linux
9 > <https://hothardware.com/news/intel-cpu-bug-kernel-memory-isolation-linux-windows-macos>
10 > and Meltdown and Spectre <https://meltdownattack.com/>.
11 >
12 > Reported at Bug 643360 <https://bugs.gentoo.org/643360>.
15 Its been mentioned in another thread, but I guess its a bit off topic there.
16
17 Project Zero (Google) found it;
18 https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.com.au/2018/01/reading-privileged-memory-with-side.html
19
20 Phoronix has done some benchmarks on the impact of the kernel based
21 workaround ([Kernel] Page Table Isolation (PSI) nee Kaiser)
22 https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-more-x86pti&num=1