From: "João Miguel" <jmcf125@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Boot Media Admin CD
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:12:19
1 > Hello,
2 >
3 > On the download pages I found this interesting choice for AMD64::
4 > Boot Media Admin CD::
5 > https://www.gentoo.org/downloads/
6 >
7 > Anyone know what an .admin cd. is? Anyone tested it yet?
8 Hmm I hadn't seen it, but it seems pretty similar to the minimal
9 installation CD, except it has a different logo. In fact, it calls
10 itself a «minimal installation CD», boots in exactly the same way (boot
11 prompt, keymap choice, loading tons of modules, etc.)
12
13 So I'm guessing it has a few more things than the standard ISO, maybe
14 some things that were deemed unnecessary for the minimal install, but
15 that may be useful, I don't know, if you mess up your bootloader, or
16 maybe it has some statically compiled binaries that you can copy and use
17 on your main system if something is broken... But that's just a guess.
18
19 The easiest way to know the difference may be to mount the ISOs, the
20 SquashFSs inside, and compare the files...
21
22 If you want to try it, you can do:
23 $ qemu-system-x86_64 -m 1G -hda admincd.iso -enable-kvm
24
25 Thanks for the question. Now I'm curious too :-D
26 João Miguel

admin-cd.png image/png