From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USB3 external storage HD's
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2018 09:31:10
1 On Thursday, 18 January 2018 18:45:41 GMT Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2 > On 18/01/18 20:33, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > > Do those External Storage work with Linux (USB3)?
4 > > I don't want to install any ventor-software, I just want one that plugs
5 > > and play.
6 > >
7 > > Any recommendations?
8 >
9 > My USB 3 stick works fine, at its full advertised speed (190MB/s read,
10 > 100MB/s write.) So an HD should work fine though. There's no third-party
11 > drivers needed.
12
13 I've been using two bog-standard USB-3 Seagate expansion drives for a couple
14 of years. They're for whole-system backups of my Gentoo boxes, so they
15 aren't exactly heavily stressed. I haven't measured their speeds, but
16 they're much faster than the USB-2 drives I had before them.
19 Regards,
20 Peter.