From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] vmWare HowTo / best practices
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 16:15:20
1 Jarry <mr.jarry@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 >On 19-Apr-13 16:21, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >
5 >> Previously I had asked for some help with a preconfigured image, but
6 >> decided against that, and have been playing and reading.
7 >>
8 >> I'm ready to get down to brass tacks with the ultimate goal of
9 >getting a
10 >> new gentoo vm up and running on my esxi host this weekend.
11 >>
12 >> Can someone point me to some recent/decent docs on best practices for
13 >> this? Ideally gentoo related, but just general linux related would be
14 >ok
15 >> too.
16 >>
17 >> Things like vmware-tools installation (is open-vm-tools good enough
18 >> nowadays?), time syncing, snapshots/backups, etc is what I'm looking
19 >for.
20 >
21 >May I join the club? I have been running a few Gentoo-VMs
22 >for some time, but I'm still quite new to this "ESXi-world".
23 >But one I know for sure is that hypervisor-virtualization
24 >is much more complex than OS-virtualization (i.e. VServer
25 >or OpenVZ which I have used previously).
26 >
27 >vmware-tools: I have tested open-vm-tools but now I'm running
28 >my VMs without them because every kernel upgrade was a real
29 >pain in a**. And trully I did not see any benefit in running
30 >vm-tools (maybe it would be different on desktop). For
31 >shutdown of Gentoo-VMs from ESXi I use ssh-script or
32 >hibernation.
33 >
34 >Snapshots are very well covered by esxi and for backup I use
35 >ghetto-vcb tool (script). It tried backup&restore on one
36 >of my running Gentoo-VM servers and it works like charm.
37 >
38 >For VM-hardware I used (iirc) CentOS template, because
39 >with "other linux 64b" I did not get hw-options I wanted
40 >to use (LSI-Logic Parallel SCSI controller, and VMXNET3
41 >network adapter).
42 >
43 >Unfortunatelly there is not a lot info about Gentoo & ESXi
44 >and what exists is quite outdated (i.e. Gentoo-wiki). But
45 >I used guidelines for general linux-VM, and I consulted
46 >problems on VMware community web-page...
47 >
48 >Jarry
49 >--
51 >This mailbox accepts e-mails only from selected mailing-lists!
52 >Everything else is considered to be spam and therefore deleted.
53
54 I would suggest installing the vmaare tools when the VM is running on a VMWare server.
55
56 You get better driver performance and the management tools actually work.
59 Joost
60 --
61 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.