From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: DVD borked: SysFS removed
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2010 20:52:20
1 On 08/20/2010 11:33 AM, James wrote:
2 > walt<w41ter<at> gmail.com> writes:
3
4 >> $ls -l /dev/dvd
5 >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2010-08-17 04:46 /dev/dvd -> sr0
6 >
7 > I get: ls: cannot access /dev/dvd: No such file or directory
8
9 I forgot an important detail. Your device drivers have changed, so your
10 disks will now show up as different devices. However, your old devices
11 still appear in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-cd.rules, and that causes
12 confusion. The right way to fix it is to delete that file and let udev
13 recreate it during the next boot.
16 >> I didn't do anything to cause that. udev took care of it without my help,
17 >> and everything Just Worked.
18 >
19 >> Well, not quite true. I did change my /etc/fstab, but I'm now using disk
20 >> labels in fstab instead of device names. If you still use device names
21 >> you'll need to change /dev/hd* to /dev/sd* in fstab when using the new
22 >> disk drivers.
23 >
24 > my current fstab looks like this:
25 > /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,rw,user 0 0
26 >
27 > Can you send me a snippet out of your fstab on setting up (2)
28 > dvds on one system?
29
30 I don't have any machines with two dvds, but if you delete the file I
31 mentioned above, you should start to see device names that make sense
32 the next time you reboot. Start with that and see what happens.
35 > Disk labels sound cool. Maybe a good doc
36 > explaining these intricacies?
37
38 Look at man mount and look for "The device indication" section. For example:
39
40 LABEL=root / ext3 noatime,nodiratime,defaults 0 1
41 LABEL=home /home ext3 noatime,nodiratime,defaults 0 1
42
43 I labeled those two partitions with the names 'root' and 'home' using e2label,
44 though it might be less confusing if I had used upper case letters instead.
45 You can pick any label you want, of course.