From: Eray Aslan <eray.aslan@×××××××.tr>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} hardening SSL without rejecting users
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 06:43:47
1 On 27.04.2010 05:19, Grant wrote:
2 > I've been advised to harden my SSL in the following ways:
3 >
4 > 1. disable SSL 2.0
5
6 Agreed. There is no need to support SSL 2.0 anymore.
7
8 > 2. disable use of SSL ciphers which offer either weak or no encryption
9
10 For maximum compatibility, support AES, RC4 and 3DES (and up). There is
11 no need to support weaker ciphers.
12
13 > 3. disable anonymous SSL ciphers
14
15 Correct. There is no need except in emergencies (actual
16 interoperability problems with mandatory TLS destinations). But it
17 should be the default anyway.
18
19 In general, try to
20 * use a private key that is at least 2048 bits long
21 * do not offer ciphers below 128 bits
22 * do not support SSLv2
23 * do not offer anonymous Deffie Hellmann (ADH)
24 * generate new keys for each certificate (do not reuse keys)
25 * support/offer TLS 1.0 and better
28 Eray