From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: MBR partition
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 12:15:10
1 Joseph <syscon780 <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I'm configuring MBR partition for older disk and need to know what code
5 > to enter for boot partition. My BIOS is not EFI type.
8 Just to ensure that you have made your decisions based on good information,
9 I wanted to clarify something about bios. Vendors often release newer or
10 updated bios codes very spedicfic to a particular motherboard. These updated
11 bios offerings, if they exist, may or many not allow you to boot and use GPT
12 (EFI) etc.
13
14 Neil pointed out an option I'm not familiar with. Another option is to use
15 linuxbios (now called coreboot)[1]. If you do decide to try coreboot
16 to upgrade your bios, do your own research and find out if it is a valid
17 (possible) solution for you [2].
18
19 I mention this to complete and clarify the information I gave you, as
20 best as I can. Coreboot is an excellent project that is 'good to know'
21 knowledge, even if you choose otherwise.
24 James
25
26 [1] http://www.coreboot.org/Welcome_to_coreboot
27