From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PHP slots
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2015 19:00:36
1 On 19/08/2015 19:05, Ajai Khattri wrote:
2 >
3 > Are packages of major versions of PHP all slotted now?
4
5 Yes
8 > In trying to upgrade from 5.3 to 5.6 I get the following query:
9 >
10 > # emerge -uDatvk dev-lang/php
11 >
12 > * IMPORTANT: 8 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
13 > * Use eselect news read to view new items.
16 Um, you should probably read those
21 > These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:
22 >
23 > Calculating dependencies... done!
24 >
25 > Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 KiB
26 >
27 > !!! The following installed packages are masked:
28 > - dev-lang/php-5.3.28-r3::gentoo (masked by: package.mask)
29 > /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask:
30 > # Brian Evans <grknight@g.o> (22 Mar 2015)
31 > # PHP 5.3.x is vulnerable to several security bugs and has
32 > # reached EOL status. (Bugs #533998, #537586, #537590, #538822, #541098)
33 > # Masked pending resolution to bug #538756
34 >
35 > For more information, see the MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge
36 > man page or refer to the Gentoo Handbook.
40 > * dev-lang/php:5.3
41 > * dev-lang/php:5.4
42 > * dev-lang/php:5.5
43 >
44 > Would you like to add these packages to your world favorites? [Yes/No]
47 > I always thought the idea of adding specific slots to my world file a
48 > bad idea ?
49
50 No, adding random crap to world is a bad idea. You add to world things
51 YOU want to have, things that are not deps.
52
53 If you want package X and that package needs php version Y, then php-Y
54 will be installed.
55 If you know for sure you need say php-5.4 for some purpose, then add it
56 to world, otherwise depclean will start removing it.
57 If you just want the latest php, then simply emerge php
58
59 One of the purposes of slots is to give YOU, the user, finer control
60 over packages that you may well need several versions of (interpreters,
61 libs, kernel sources, and more). To control that, you need to add them
62 to world.
63
64 What you should not do is try add specific versions of packages to
65 world. That can go horribly wrong. SLOTs for apps you will emerge are
66 generally OK
71 Alan McKinnon
72 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com