From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Useflags for wget and curl: openssl versus gnutls?
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 22:30:31
1 On 09/05/2011 02:06 PM, walt wrote:
2 > A recent buglet in the wget package made me aware that openssl competes
3 > with gnutls in certain ways. Even nss and libssh2 may be competing in
4 > the same space, if maybe to a smaller extent.
5 >
6 > Anyone here really understand the tradeoffs involved in the use of these
7 > useflags, and why I might want to choose one over the other?
8
9 Months later, in another mailing list, I finally found a very practical
10 reason for picking one over the other: lawyers :p
11
12 The openssl project started under the aegis of the OpenBSD project, and
13 thus their license is solidly in the BSD camp.
14
15 The very name gnutls gives us a big hint about which license that project
16 favors :)
17
18 Apparently the nss license is at least not in bloody conflict with the
19 GPL, though I've not read the fine print and don't intend to. Well,
20 not until I've downed this delicious egg nog, anyway :)