From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Default settings in /etc/rc.conf
Date: Sun, 05 Feb 2012 19:57:56
1 On 2012-02-05 2:00 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2012-02-05 1:41 PM, Dale<rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> They removed the setting because it broke a good bit of systems. No one
5 >>> wanted to fix it, so they got rid of it. From my understanding, if you
6 >>> still want the setting, you can leave it there.
7
8 >> Yeah, I figured out that much, but my main question was about the
9 >> defaults...
10 >>
11 >> What *are* the defaults? Is the example setting that is commented out
12 >> the default?
13
14 > The default is no.
15
16 Thanks for trying to answer Dale, but you are missing the point of my
17 question.
18
19 I'm not asking about that one specific setting, I'm asking about ALL of
20 the settings in that file.
21
22 Again - are the commented out example settings the *default* settings?
23 Or, do I need to *uncomment* them in order to set them to the setting as
24 shown in the example *commented* setting?
25
26 My point also is that neither the comments in the header for rc.conf nor
27 any of the comments for each section explicitly say what the *defaults*
28 *will* *be*, and that is, imnsho, a really bad thing to leave to the
29 imagination, especially for important config files like rc.conf (where a
30 mistake can leave you with an unbootable system).