From: Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Xorg.. twm not starting and terrible performance with fluxbox
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 17:30:51
1 Well hi again,
2
3 It took longer than I expected to change the server. Anyway.
4
5 The VIA Unichrome situation turned out to be a no-go for me. I had to
6 install an NVIDIA GeForce FX5200 on the machine and get X running.
7
8 I think this whole thread and me compiling various Xorg versions about 8
9 or 9 times was a waste of time. Because as it turns out, fluxbox, even
10 on the nvidia drivers took ages to open xcalc and such. The only
11 difference was that, the mouse pointer moved properly with nvidia
12 drivers when fluxbox was trying to open xcalc. With vesa, the pointer
13 lagged like hell!
14
15 Something interesting did happen though. I had that "Unknown device" in
16 my lspci output for both Gentoo and FC4 when I was on VIA Unichrome. Now
17 after switching to nvidia, I can see a Host Bridge properly identified
18 in its place. I wonder why that would be?
19
20 I still am confused about one thing though... which exactly is the 2D
21 driver for VIA Unichrome?
22
23 I apologise to those who wasted their time reading this thread and
24 replying in it.. but I found the problem worth investigating and I am
25 still intrigued by it..
26
27 Regards and a sincere thanks,
28 Mrugesh