From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problems after DST change
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 17:17:58
1 On 3/12/07, Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 09:34 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
3 > > OK, I need to go read somewhere. Actually, that part you wrote is very
4 > > clear, but isn't UTC time the same as Greenwich Mean Time? Maybe GMT
5 > > isn't effected by DST?
6 >
7 > Yeah... kinda. The name "GMT" is for the most part historical.
8 > Nowadays it's more commonly called UTC. UTC is Universal Coordinated
9 > Time. It is DST agnostic and doesn't change (thank your chosen deity).
10 > >
11 > > I normally think of California being 8 hours behind GMT. 3AM seems to
12 > > be 7 hours behind UTC and not 8 hours. Since we got DST 3 weeks early
13 > > maybe GMT didn't shift yet? Or maybe GMT never shifts?
14 >
15 > Pacific Standard Time is UTC-8 and Pacific Daylight Time is UTC-7. UTC
16 > (GMT if you will) doesn't change, ever.
17
18 Got it. Makes sense. Thanks!
21 > > Leave it to the American government to create world wide problems.
22 > > (Not the first time, obviously and unfortunately not the last.)
25 > Can't blame the Americans alone for this one. There have been a few
26 > countries who have changed DST rules in recent years, some even worse
27 > than here in the U.S.
30 Cheers,
31 Mark
32 --