From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ivtv support for gentoo-sources 2.6.19-r7 and higher?
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 01:02:37
1 On 4/19/07, Bo Ørsted Andresen <bo.andresen@××××.dk> wrote:
2 > On Friday 20 April 2007 00:08:03 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 <SNIP>
4 > >
5 > > Does anyone know what's required to get these features into the kernel?
6 >
7 > If you enter `make menuconfig` for your kernel then you can type slash ('/') to
8 > search for config options. If you search for VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO then you
9 > get output like this:
10 >
11 > Location:
12 > -> Device Drivers
13 > -> Multimedia devices
14 > -> Video For Linux (VIDEO_DEV [=n])
15 > -> Video Capture Adapters
16 >
17 > which tells you where to find and disable that option.
18 >
19 > If you search for VIDEO_WM8775 then in addition to it's Location you also see:
20 >
21 > Depends on: VIDEO_DEV && !VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO && VIDEO_V4L2 && I2C && EXPERIMENTAL
22 >
23 > This tells you that that option is only visible when VIDEO_DEV is enabled,
24 > VIDEO_HELPER_CHIPS_AUTO is disabled (which it isn't), VIDEO_V4L2 is enabled
25 > etc...
26 >
27 > So using the search facilities in `make menuconfig` like this you should
28 > be able to find and set correctly these options on your own...
29 >
30 > --
31 > Bo Andresen
35 Bo & Jerry,
36 First, thanks!
37
38 Second, I completely understand that I am just a low end Linux
39 user. I don't write software. I basically just make the machines work
40 somehow. That said I cannot imagine how I've used make menuconfig for
41 something like 7-8 years and had NO, and I do mean NO, idea that it
42 could do a search! Stupid me!
43
44 Anyway, I've now built the kernel and emerged ivtv-0.10.1-r1
45 against gentoo-sources-2.6.20-r6. Everything looks good for now. I
46 cannot test any of this until tomorrow morning and the family is using
47 MythTV until then.
48
49 Thanks so much for your quick responses and the great info about
50 how to search out the correct options! Great stuff!
51
52 Cheers,
53 Mark
54 --