From: Mark Shields <laebshade@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Chroot to new environment complains about kernel
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 01:58:45
1 On 12/14/06, Bertram Scharpf <lists@×××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I try to chroot to a brand new environment, freshly unpacked
6 > from stage 3:
7 >
8 > kyle # chroot /mnt/hdb/ /bin/bash
9 > FATAL: kernel too old
10 > kyle # uname -a
11 > Linux kyle 2.6.8-3-686 #1 Tue Dec 5 21:26:38 UTC 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
12 >
13 > After that, I unpacked stage 1. The boostrap worked fine until
14 > during compilation of glibc a command ".././scripts/mkinstalldirs"
15 > stoped with (yes!): "FATAL: kernel too old".
16 >
17 > An strace of the chroot command ends with the uname function
18 > call yielding the above results and returning 0. Then, the
19 > message is output and exit is called.
20 >
21 > Google did not give me any hints.
22 >
23 > Thanks in advance for any hints.
24 >
25 > Bertram
28 > --
29 > Bertram Scharpf
30 > Stuttgart, Deutschland/Germany
31 > http://www.bertram-scharpf.de
32 > --
33 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
36 This happens when you try to chroot to a system that has a much newer kernel
37 than the one you're running. The solution is to use a newer gentoo boot cd.
40 - Mark Shields