From: "Mateusz Mierzwiński" <mateuszmierzwinski@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE? Get me out of here!
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:16:44
1 I have KDE4. It work's perfect. Try set "Custom-cxxflags" to off,
2 maybe this will help. From my opinion KDE and QT 4 don't like
3 customized C/CXX Flags, such as fomit-frame-pointer and similar. Try
4 to set correct USE flags and first of all - add DBUS to default
5 runlevel if Your "Welcome" screen don't work - it works for me. You
6 should also have Hald for X.org configuration.
7
8 BTW. I don't use any desktop mail client - I've chosen GroupOffice
9 for web client with IMAP support and great tool for my work - safer
10 because of laptop disk crashes or similar - data is stored external
11 and it's delivered by OpenVPN with certificate nad data encryption.
12
13 Chromium as major web browser, Subversion integrated with KDE, Wicd
14 as network configuration daemon. Also Kadu as IM, wine + winamp,
15 OpenOffice. Not installed Compiz for now, but I have it on my plans.
16
17 Login screen works great, loading is realy fast. Only one problem
18 with Bluetooth but i think it's device fault - device USB connector
19 broken. Everyday working with dual-head 2 monitors - KDE 4 detects
20 when I connect another monitor, soundcard and Xine integration into
21 phonon works with no glitches. Other tools like SSH/SFTP integrated
22 into konqueror works great - konqueror itself also perfect!
23
24 It's good, it's fast, it's intuitive, it's "better desktop software",
25 it's XXI century desktop environment, not such as Gnome and funny
26 "icons trashroom" on desktop.
27
28 Why KDE? Because i like it. Don't say that this software SUCKS,
29 _check_Your_config_. If You have problem try to remove .kde or .kde4
30 folder in Your home directory and recreate profile.
31