From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Building an initramfs into the kernel
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:35:35
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 14:09:34 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> At this point I don't know that 1) the image is actually in the
6 >>> kernel, or 2) that my "init thingy" ;-) image would work, but at least
7 >>> the process of putting it together is verifiable.
8 >>
9 >> That's why I put in all the debug stuff, so I could watch the progress of
10 >> the script as it ran.
14 > OK, I'll look at combining that part my my scripts, or just using yours, etc.
15 >
16 > Thanks for the help,
17 > Mark
18
19 Neil,
20 One more question if I might. What's the simplest way to regenerate
21 the kernel when there are no kernel changes but you have changes to
22 the programs that are going into the initramfs? make clean seems like
23 overkill to me, and it's very slow to boot.
24
25 I suspect that one of the simplest failures on an initramfs is that
26 you update something that's contained in the initramfs, mdadm or
27 busybox or whatever, and then don't get that new stuff into the
28 initramfs. Seems like I need to be right on top of what I'm keeping in
29 it and make sure a new kernel gets generated any time those packages
30 are updated. Correct?
31
32 Anyway, I'm wondering how you manage that?
33
34 Should be booting my first kernel with the initramfs in it shortly.
35 We'll see how that goes.
36
37 Thanks,
38 Mark