From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are VirtualBox moduli loaded by themselves?
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 21:35:43
1 On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 22:40:00 +0200, gevisz wrote:
2
3 > Can anybody explain me who loads virtualbox-modules without my consent
4 > and how I can make them loaded only when I need them (just before I am
5 > going to run VirtualBox, which I do not so often)?
6
7 The ebuild installs /usr/lib/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf which causes
8 the modules to be loaded by systemd-modules-load.service. Systemd gives
9 priority to similarly names files in /etc so creating an
10 empty /etc/modules-load.d/virtualbox.conf should prevent them loading,
11 although I'm basing that on the man page rather than actual experience.
12
13 You could also disable the service if you don't want any
14 non-hotplugged modules loaded at boot.
18 Neil Bothwick
19
20 Cross-country skiing is great in small countries.