From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting past captchas with vision issues.
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2020 08:02:34
1 Michael wrote:
2 > On Tuesday, 29 September 2020 03:05:23 BST Matt Connell (Gmail) wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 2020-09-28 at 20:50 -0500, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Anyone find a way around those things yet?
5 >> I've had mixed (~75%) success with Captcha Buster.
6 >>
7 >> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/buster-captcha-solver/
8 >>
9 >> The general idea is that the addon will try to use the audio captcha,
10 >> with the sound piped into a text-to-speech engine. That way, you
11 >> (ideally) get through a captcha with a single click and a couple of
12 >> seconds waiting.
13 > Some captcha mechanisms offer a button to translate text-to-speech
14 > (accessibility feature) even without a browser addon, but I don't think all
15 > do.
16 >
17 > You may be able to zoom in (magnify the browser window content) and still
18 > retain enough clarity to see what the captcha contains. To zoom in you can
19 > navigate to the main menu View > Zoom > Zoom In, or press Ctrl++, or hold the
20 > control button and scroll up. You can reset the size to default with Ctrl+0.
21 >
22 > Regarding Seamonkey, I expect Firefox plus Thunderbird would be a close enough
23 > match in terms of functionality, but I haven't used Seamonkey in many years
24 > now to know the current feature set.
27 I use the zoom thing quite a lot.  Most websites are set to 125% or
28 something.  Usually, I hit the button twice.  Even the email pane that
29 shows subject, from and etc in Seamonkey is enlarged with three button
30 hits.  It helps in a fair amount of cases.  I just wish it would save
31 when I close and reopen.  It resets when I close Seamonkey.
32
33 What I've noticed a lot of lately, images that are fuzzy.  It's like
34 they are low resolution photos or something.  Even with zoom and such,
35 it doesn't help.  Those are usually the sites I end up closing the tab
36 for.
37
38 I tried Thunderbird a while back.  While it is supposed to be like email
39 in Seamonkey, it isn't.  I ran into several issues and google turned up
40 info that it is the way Thunderbird works and they won't change it, nor
41 can the user.  If Seamonkey dies, I have no idea what I'm going to do
42 for emails.  I got emails going back to when I first started using the
43 internet.  Heck, I may have the first email I ever sent.  o_O  Whatever
44 I use, I hope I can import or just copy them over.  Otherwise, I'm going
45 to be unhappy.  Makes me think back to the hal days.  O_O
46
47 Dale
48