From: Florian Philipp <lists@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Lockdown: free/open OS maker pays Microsoft ransom for the right to boot on users' computers
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2012 11:09:18
1 Am 03.06.2012 08:57, schrieb Walter Dnes:
2 > On Sat, Jun 02, 2012 at 07:36:51PM -0400, Michael Mol wrote
3 >
4 >> The BIOS will only load a signed bootloader. The signed bootloader
5 >> will only load a signed kernel.
6 >
7 > OK, so I sign LILO. What code is in there that prevents LILO from
11 Nothing. The point is, if you sign software that is used (or can be
12 used) for malware, your key will be blacklisted. That's why Fedora takes
13 the measures I've listed: They don't want to have their key revoked.
14
15 >> The signed kernel will...do whatever you tell it to do.
16 >
17 > Define "kernel"... no... seriously.
18 > 1) Could it actually be a hypervisor?
19 >
20 > 2) Or maybe another copy of LILO which proceeds to load the actual
21 > kernel?
24 Sure, whatever floats your boat. UEFI only checks the boot loader
25 directly. After that, it is the boot loader's responsibility to keep the
26 next stage secure. But if you allow unchecked access to the hardware
27 through whatever signed code you have, your key will be blacklisted. To
28 quote Matthew again:
29
30 > Secure boot is built on the idea that all code that can touch the
31 > hardware directly is trusted, and any untrusted code must go through
32 > the trusted code. This can be circumvented if users can execute
33 > arbitrary code in the kernel. So, we'll be moving to requiring signed
34 > kernel modules and locking down certain aspects of kernel
35 > functionality. The most obvious example is that it won't be possible
36 > to access PCI regions directly from userspace, which means all
37 > graphics cards will need kernel drivers. Userspace modesetting will
38 > be a thing of the past. Again, disabling secure boot will disable
39 > these restrictions.
40
41 Regards,
42 Florian Philipp