From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] ffmpeg video+audio capture question
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:16:29
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday, 19 September 2019 15:19:57 BST Walter Dnes wrote:
3 >> On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 07:57:51PM -0400, Walter Dnes wrote
4 >>
5 >>> I did some further digging. It appears that the instructions I
6 >>> followed are for capture devices (USB microphones, etc). According to
7 >>> https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/ALSA if I want to record from a
8 >>> running application, I need to load the "snd_aloop" module and mention
9 >>> it in a local .asoundrc. According to the linux kernel config help...
10 >>>
11 >>> CONFIG_SND_ALOOP:
12 >>> | Say 'Y' or 'M' to include support for the PCM loopback device. |
13 >>> | This module returns played samples back to the user space using |
14 >>> | the standard ALSA PCM device |
15 >>> |
16 >>> Oh well, there is a new kernel, so I'll build it with the module, and
17 >>>
18 >>> get back later to see how things work.
19 >> That failed differently. With the local .asoundrc present, I loaded
20 >> the snd_aloop module. It showed up as a capture device in alsamixer.
21 >> But I had no sound on the speakers when playing Youtube. Even worse, I
22 >> was unable to unload the snd_aloop module. When trying to do so, I got
23 >>
24 >> FATAL ERROR: Module in use.
25 >>
26 >> The normal way around that is to unload any other modules using it.
27 >> But I have everything, except snd_aloop, built into the kernel. So
28 >> there was nothing to unload to release snd_aloop. I ended up renaming
29 >> .asoundrc, and rebooting.
30 > I suggest you give jackd a spin. It should what you want, but may I ask why
31 > you need to record off your browser whatever youtube shows? Can't you use
32 > youtube-dl to download the youtube video/audio?
36 I use a add-on to download videos from sites youtube-dl doesn't work
37 with.  I think it is called Video Download Helper.  It works pretty
38 well.  It also allows you to pick what resolution you want if there is
39 more than one available.  My DSL isn't fast enough for HD videos but I
40 can use the download tool to select a HD stream when I want to.
41
42 Just another option.
43
44 Dale