From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: eudev
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:08:11
1 On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:07:02 +0000 (UTC)
2 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Bryan Gardiner <bog <at> khumba.net> writes:
8 > > > I did recently put these into my package.keywords.
9 >
10 > > > =sys-fs/udev-196-r1 ~amd64
11 > > > =virtual/udev-196 ~amd64
12 > > > =sys-fs/udev-init-scripts-17-r1 ~amd64
13 >
14 > > My guess is that you've unmasked sys-fs/udev-196 only partially.
15 > > Portage tries to calculate the dependencies for it and finds that
16 > > something is still missing (e.g. you need to ~amd64 more packages)
17 > > so Portage stops with sys-fs/udev and tries to satisfy virtual/udev
18 > > with eudev instead.
19 >
20 > I was cleaning up a python 3.1 mess on the system. Days
21 > of rebuilding stuff for python 3.2 after removal of python
22 > 3.1. and building kde-4.9.3....
23 >
24 > > Try an "emerge -pv =sys-fs/udev-196-r1" and see if that gives any
25 > > reason why Portage isn't happy with it.
26 >
27 > ebuild R ~] sys-fs/udev-196-r1 USE="acl gudev hwdb introspection
28 > keymap kmod openrc -doc (-selinux) -static-libs" 0 kB
31 > Since I've been following the threads on eudev, I do not want to be
32 > out front on this issue.
33 >
34 > I put /var/ and /usr on the same partition as /
35 >
36 > I do have other partitions, such as /usr/local/video1 (etc)
37 >
38 > But I just put /boot / and swamp for the OS on all the gentoo
39 > system I need. So I think I should go back to udev 181 ?
40 > I only went to udev 196-r1 to clean up the system (late at night
41 > just rebuilding and doing what portage wanted to keep rebuilding
42 > everything....
43 >
44 > In summary, since I put /var and /usr on the / partition
45 > what my best (mainstream) path for udev and all the issues
46 > (flags and other packages) to stay mainstream-stable?
47 >
48 > I'm not sure I fully understand what my best path forward is...
49
50 /var is more often than not best kept separate from /, as the
51 filesystem needs for those two are usually quite different. Especially
52 with embedded devices - they can be resource constrained and don't have
53 spare resources to waste on inefficient configs.
54
55 As long as /usr is on the same partition as / you are safe for the
56 foreseeable future.
57
58 The reason for this whole / and /usr mess can be summed up in a few
59 words:
60
61 It's a bootstrap problem.
62
63 Stuff could be needed at some point in the startup process before the
64 system is in a state to present that very stuff, so one uses bootstrap
65 techniques to make the stuff become available somehow when needed.
66
67 At this point in time, all this "stuff" reduces to one simple question:
68 "is it located on / or is it somewhere under the /usr hierarchy?" There
69 does not seem to be any other factor involved.
74 Alan McKinnon
75 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com