From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Screen resolution problem
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:25:22
1 On Monday 14 September 2009 02:59:28 David Relson wrote:
2 > G'day,
3 >
4 > I'm running Xorg with a minimal config file (only 15 lines - which
5 > provide font paths and set the AllowMouseOpenFail option).
6 >
7 > When I last restarted my computer (about 3 months ago), X came up in
8 > 1280x1024 mode. Today I restarted X (because the shift and control
9 > keys were non-responsive) and my computer is in 1024x768 mode. I much
10 > prefer the higher resolution.
11 >
12 > I have the Xorg.0.log files from the reboot 3 months ago and today's X
13 > restart. What should I be looking at in them to diagnose what has
14 > happened differently?
15 >
16 > Several obvious questions arise:
17 >
18 > _Why_ did X select a different resolution today?
19 > _How_ can I get to the higher resolution?
20 > _What_ can I do to prevent a recurrence of this problem?
21 >
22 > I'm running a 2.6.28-gentoo-r5 kernel with the following packages:
23 >
24 > x11-base/xorg-x11-7.2
25 > x11-drivers/ati-drivers-8.552-r2
26 > x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati-6.12.1-r1
27
28 Recent Xorg interrogates the hardware to find what resolutions it supports and
29 can pick one of those to use. The user can also specify their preference, so I
30 reckon you likely didn't specify a preference; and what Xorg thinks you want
31 isn't what you want.
32
33 Look for the string "EDID" in both logs and make comparisons in that area.
34
35 Before you do that, run "genlop -l" or examine emerge.log to find what
36 upgrades and merges were done in the last three months that affect resolution.
39 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com