From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh problem
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 22:07:00
1 On 02/24/2011 03:01 PM, Matthew Marlowe wrote:
2 > On Thursday, February 24, 2011 10:09:22 am dhk wrote:
3 >>>>
4 >>>> I still haven't gotten this to work. Am I the only one using this? The
5 >>>> "ssh -i .ssh/id_dsa.pub host" didn't work. I get a message "Read from
6 >>>> socket failed: Connection reset by peer" with or without the -i option.
7 >>>>
8 >
9 > I encountered a similar, if not the same, problem this morning.
10 > Upgraded SSH, rebooted server, and no longer able to login. Logs showed
11 > errors I had not seen before.
12 >
13 > I managed to solve the problem when I noticed that ssh'ing to the fqdn of the
14 > server failed, but ssh'ing to the server hostname worked. This implied there
15 > might be an issue with the known_hosts file, so I blew away that on both the
16 > client and server and all was well.
17 >
18 > I'm guessing the upgrade modified the default ssh host keys, the new code
19 > somehow doesn't give the normal error about discrepencies in known_hosts, and
20 > consequently although ones user keys are still fine, it fails. The issue here
21 > is really the new error isn't nearly as understandable as the old.
22 >
23 > Anyhow, try it and I hope it works.
24 >
25 > Matt
26
27 Thanks, but I've tried that. ssh'ing to the hostname and loopback
28 address work. However, when I go out to the WAN it doesn't. So I can't
29 ssh user@123.123.123.123 even though I have port 22 open on the switch
30 for my ip.