From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anybody tried shake defragmenter?
Date: Mon, 03 Aug 2009 21:09:22
1 On Monday 03 August 2009 22:51:58 Thierry de Coulon wrote:
2 > On Monday 03 August 2009, Grant wrote:
3 > > # df
4 > > Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
5 > > /dev/sda3 960872076 754795944 157266648 83% /
6 >
7 > The partition is fairly full, probably the system has a hard time finding a
8 > spot to create an unfragmented file. I remember I read a partition should
9 > not be more than 50% used, maybe I'm wrong.
10
11 Well, that is just flat out wrong and simple logic tells you why.
12
13 If it were true, you could never use more than half your disk space. So you
14 buy a 1T disk to get 500G. Doesn't make sense right?
15
16 The world is full of people who talk through holes in their arses. You seem to
17 have read one of their missives.
18
19 > Anyway, I would not use such a full partition for / or /home. When it
20 > happend I moved /usr to another partition.
21
22 You do want some breathing space, at least as big as the largest chunk of data
23 the fs layer is going to move around in one operation. This of course is a
24 highly variable amount. About 5% is a reasonable rule of thumb, modified by
25 benchmarks you do on your own data.
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com