From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Nothing In Gnome Working
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 2009 15:56:10
1 On Thursday 03 September 2009 22:35:28 Nick Khamis wrote:
2 > When I do a:
3 >
4 > rc-update add xdm default
5 >
6 > Gentoo does not fire up but rather xdm, and my root login fails even
7 > thought I know its the right username password.
8
9 Root login to console or root login to X?
10
11 Almost every sane distro on the planet ships with X root login disabled. This
12 is a very good thing and only stupid people expect otherwise or try to change
13 it.
14
15 It is also possible to disable root login on the console (via pam) but this is
16 not normally the default.
19 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com