From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing the NIC name
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 09:03:20
1 On Monday 06 November 2006 18:34, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
2
3 > Am Montag, 6. November 2006 15:09 schrieb Timothy A. Holmes:
4
5 > > As the machine built, the realtech is eth0 and the intel is eth1
6 > > I would like to reverse those two names, so that snort can use the
7 > > higher capacity card for its sniffer. I am not quite sure where to look
8 > > even to begin this process.
9 >
10 > "nameif" does this.
11 >
12 > # equery b nameif
13 > [ Searching for file(s) nameif in *... ]
14 > sys-apps/net-tools-1.60-r12 (/sbin/nameif)
15 >
16 > # nameif <interface> <macaddress>
17
18 Or, if you're struggling with udev and you intend to run a slim installation
19 you could also try setting it up in your /etc/conf.d/net:
20 ======================================================
21 # OPTIONAL MODULES
22
23 # INTERFACE RENAMING
24 # There is no consistent device renaming scheme for Linux.
25 # The preferred way of naming devices is via the kernel module directly or
26 # by using udev (http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php)
27
28 # If you are unable to write udev rules, then we do provide a way of renaming
29 # the interface based on it's MAC address, but it is not optimal.
30 # Here is how to rename an interface whose MAC address is 00:11:22:33:44:55
31 # to foo1
32 #rename_001122334455="foo1"
33
34 # You can also do this based on current device name - although this is not
35 # recommended. Here we rename eth1 to foo2.
36 #rename_eth1="foo2"
38
39 HTH.
40 --