From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] I want to play movies without hangs
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 19:46:20
1 I wrote:
2
3 > Mark Knecht writes:
4
5 > > OK, fire up two terminals. In one run top, hit 1 & z so you see all
6 > > your CPUs and then watch CPU usage. In the second terminal su to root
7 > > and run iotop -o. Now, watch for a few minutes and get a feel for
8 > > what's going on when video is not running. Then start your video and
9 > > watch IO usage and CPU usage. Where's the problem?
10 > >
11 > > Once you get an idea where the bottleneck is we can address what a
12 > > solution might be. In general, if the CPUs aren't maxed out and it's
13 > > an I/O problem then usually a bit more buffering is a simple solution.
14 > > Other more draconian solution might be a real-time kernel with a
15 > > player (if there is one) that is set up for real-time playback.
16 > >
17 > > Looking forward to hearing your test results.
18 >
19 > Thanks for your support, Mark!
20 >
21 > I did this already, but sometimes I do not notice anything. I guess it's
22 > short I/O operations in that case. CPU load is not the problem, and it
23 > happens for both high-quality videos and small ones.
24 > Currently iotop shows stuff like kjournald, kworker, kdeinit4,
25 > akonadiserver, firefox. And lots of virtuoso-t and nepomuk when I enable
26 > indexing again, which I just suspended.
27 > And mplayer of course, it shows up in about every 2nd redisplay, which
28 > happens every second.
29 >
30 > Well... but when I do the same in the other window manager, it seems I
31 > see fewer processes then. Are they mostly suspended when I am on another
32 > display?
33
34 I watched for longer now, and this does not seem to be true.
35
36 > And I should fire up the same stuff (Firefox, Chromium, maybe KDEPIM
37 > stuff) in the other WM and see if this makes things worse. But I'll do
38 > this tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration, though, at least I have
39 > something more to try now.
40
41 I am running Enlightenment 0.16 in parallel now, with Firefox, Chromium,
42 Kontact, Claws, Liferea, Amarok (which is doing a lot of I/OP stuff at
43 the moment according to iotop), and Dolphin showing a large directory of
44 multimedia files wit thumbnails. But I don't see akonadi related processes
45 in iotop, that is unusual.
46 I did the dd command to create more I/O. No gaps in video display at all.
47
48 When I play the video from within KDE (running Konsoles, Konqueror,
49 Dolphin and a lot of plasma stuff), I have gaps, and when I do the dd
50 command, there are in the range of seconds. Even for some seconds after
51 I canceled the dd.
52
53 I also tried a fresh, unconfigured KDE session by another user. I've
54 already done that, and there were also gaps in video playback, although
55 it seems they were fewer. But this time, I was not able to reproduce
56 them. Huh?
57
58 I guess I could remove anything running on my KDE desktop one by one,
59 including plasmoids, and see if playback gets better. But not now, I
60 finally have to actually do some work.
61
62 Wonko