From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE, sddm etc security. Plus LVM question.
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 16:05:57
1 On 2022-03-19 01:03, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I been thinking.  Yea, that's dangerous.  lol  If I logout of KDE, or
5 > have the screen locked, ctrl+alt=L key sequence, how secure is that if I
6 > have good passwords that are virtually impossible to crack?  My login
7 > manager is sddm.  As a example, if someone breaks into my home, is there
8 > a easy way to get past that?  I recall the old windoze 98 days where a
9 > certain key sequence would bypass the password prompt.  Is there a way
10 > known to crooks and such that can bypass or easily defeat passwords?
13 They don't even need to defeat a password. If they have root, it's
14 trivial to unlock a locked session without knowing the password - just FYI.
15
16 I had to use that method when compiling updates and the screen saver
17 broke, and yes it did work. I can't recall what the command was now -
18 but I did test it on a working-normally system and it worked as well.
19
20 The screen locks in linux are security by obscurity, if something is
21 that sensitive, don't stay logged in all the time.
22
23 Dan