From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to get memtest onto a USB drive
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 22:10:56
1 On Friday 28 Apr 2017 22:33:35 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > Hello list,
3 >
4 > I have a nearly new machine which is already showing signs of hardware
5 > failure. I'd like to check its memory, for which memtest86+ seems
6 > suitable. But I can't install it via portage because this is a UEFI
7 > machine and so its boot partition is vfat; the install phase fails
8 > because symbolic links can't be done.
9 >
10 > I downloaded an ISO image from http://www.memtest.org/#downiso and used
11 > unetbootin to write it to the USB. It won't boot. I then tried dd but got
12 > the same result.
13 >
14 > What's the recommended way to put a bootable memtest86+ image, or
15 > equivalent, on a USB stick?
16
17 Never mind. I dd'd the .bin file instead of the .iso and it did try to boot.
18 Got nowhere though because the damn thing's jiggered.
19
20 Sorry about the noise.
23 Regards
24 Peter